Joining a mastermind group is a commitment of time and a financial investment. You want to find the right group to provide the highest ROI on your efforts.
What should you look for? These 5 characteristics are the most important:
- Industry specific—join a group made up of owners of construction related businesses. A general business group won’t be as valuable.
- Professionally facilitated—choose a group that has a professional coach/facilitator who will make sure the agenda stays clear and the group doesn’t deteriorate into socializing, small-talk, or group therapy.
- Appropriate peer matching—you should have to apply and have a review to join a mastermind group. This practice ensures you will be with people who share your challenges and goals.
- Accountability and Commitment – a mastermind group works when the members are committed to attendance and follow through over a long period. Your mastermind group should require at least a full 12-month commitment in order to be effective.
- Relationships and Trust –opening up about one’s business is a tremendous exercise in trust. Ensure that a mastermind group is built on relationships first and foremost. Only from the relationships can the trust develop to the point that the sharing has depth and value.
Finding the right group is not always easy. I’ve known many construction business owners who have joined highly respected mastermind groups, only to come away disappointed. As one person put it,
“It was simply too general. There were executives from a whole range of industries and different size businesses. The topics were too superficial and the ideas we got didn’t truly fit my business.”
That’s why I decided to create The Building Certainty MasterMind Group exclusively for owners of construction related businesses. Here you will find people who run businesses that face the same challenges you face. They use the same concepts, systems, methods and metrics. That way you can expect an immediate return on your time investment, as you get help from others who are aligned with your needs and values.
So, if you think you would benefit from a mastermind group, I invite you to take a look at the Building Certainty Mastermind Group for construction business owners. Click here to download a complete brochures. And, if you are ready to take the next step, the next screen will take you through the process of applying and setting up your Mastermind Group Readiness Call with Coach/Facilitator Ellen Dorian.